A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys
• Distilled and aged in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana
• Selection of 5.5, 9, 13, and 15-year-old barrels
• Aged in American white oak barrels
• Bottled in Kentucky
• 113.4 proof cask strength bottling
High-toned and zesty, this bourbon initially resembles a glass of fine Madeira. But a little time, a splash of water, or an ice cube will unleash its sweet pastry notes, woodsy spice, and sweet, rich palate.
• Appearance: Chestnut.
• Nose: Opens very high-toned and estery, on pineapple, plum, apple jelly, and honeydew melon. Some actively fermenting mash notes of corn pudding and sunflower seeds sit just below. Much of that blows off after a few minutes, revealing sweet tones of chocolate covered espresso beans, maple syrup, and stroopwafel. As it evolves it gathers woodsy mulling spices, hazelnut, leather, and mesquite smoke.
• Palate: Strawberry rhubarb pie, juicy fig and sour orange make for a bright and zesty arrival. Such acidic fruits mirror the nose and couple with limestone minerality and sandy tannin to yield a vinous mouthfeel. It grows richer as you savor a mouthful, developing cappuccino, macadamia nut and leather. More herbaceous than the nose, here allspice is joined by cassia and licorice root.
• Finish: A quick, mineral burst of ink, graphite, and charcoal slowly fades out on Tia Maria.
Tasted with a few drops of spring water:
The nose grows more focused, resembling a great hot toddy -- honey, orange zest and clove. Ripe banana emerges, joined by a little resinous rosemary and jasmine. The palate gets much thicker as gooey caramel takes center stage. It gets more floral as well, tasting of orris root and potpourri. The finish becomes rather delicate, with coffee ice cream being joined by dried fig and chamomile.